I have been drawing since I was a little boy. It was something I was always interested in, and my Mom would buy multitudes of coloring books for me.
Art became my passion as I grew older and decided to try out electronic devices. Outside of school I would take art classes and would continuously be drawing.
I have always been interested in how technology complements artwork, especially after growing up watching classic Disney movies such as “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves,” and “Sleeping Beauty.”
I sat in awe of these movies and sought out how to get my artwork onto my computer so that an animator would be able to play around with it.
This is where buying a graphics drawing tablet is a necessity. To get your artwork directly onto the computer so you can use other artistic software tools to edit it, design it, and eventually animate.
There are so many graphics drawing tablets on the market today that it can be hard, especially if you are a beginner, to know which is the best to buy.
Today I will be reviewing the Huion GT 185 Graphic Drawing Tablet and letting you know whether it will benefit your artistic ability. I hope this review will help you along your journey.
The Huion GT 185 Graphic Drawing Tablet comes with a variety of features to meet all your creative and artistic needs. These features include:
- There are eight hotkeys that are customizable for you to increase efficiency (such as eraser, colors you use, etc.)
- Easy to set up shortcuts, increase your workflow
- TFT panel
- 1366 x 768p screen resolution
- 5080 LPI
- 220 RPS
- 5ms Response Time
- Aspect Ratio 16:9
- Can work with the best illustration and 3D programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw, Corel Painter, Zbrush, Manga Studio, Sketchbook Pro and more
Ergonomically correct design
- Smooth and solid edges that allow you to place your arm on while working comfortably
- Monitor is on a stand that can be adjusted to different angles to put less stress on your neck/back; can go from 15° ~ 85°
- Very smooth pen pressure that is precise and highly accurate
- Full freedom and flexibility to increase your artwork
- Also comes with the Huion Cura Glove CR-01, a microfiber cleaning cloth, and screen protector to decrease damage
- Fantastic technology within this device
- Very durable and well made
- Ergonomically correct, really comfortable on arms, back, and neck
- Can adjust screen for maximum comfort
- High-definition resolution
- Hotkeys allow you to get your work done as fast as possible
- All around, a customizable tool, that can change by the artist depending on what you need
- Affordable for all the features it comes with
- Have read reviews about this tablet having some dead pixels attached to the display (black spots on the screen).
- The pen needs charging before starting your project (could disrupt your workflow).
Let me just say; I know what it is like to be a beginner in this field, and how difficult it can be. A tight budget is accurate especially when it comes to finances.
Starting out as an artist or graphic designer, you want to make sure you are spending money on products that will benefit you and not lose your money; this is so important because every penny counts starting out.
I remember I was so eager to buy a graphics drawing tablet that once it came out I just randomly went to the store and bought the first one on the shelf.
It cost me over $800, and you know what? It wasn’t even that good. It did not give me the features I wanted and would crash from time to time.
I did not have the money to spare, and the device did not come with the money back guarantee, so I lost all the money.
This is why I am so passionate about leading people in the right direction of what tools to buy when it comes to being an artist. I hope that through my review I can let you know if this product is the best for you.
Get Quality and Spend Less
All that being said, I recommend the Huion GT 185 Graphic Drawing Tablet, especially for beginners. I believe this product gives you everything you need in a drawing tablet, and it comes at an affordable price.
The hotkeys are a great bonus that lets you customize them to your liking. I also really think that this product has a lot of drawing space and is above all, more comfortable than its competitors.
As all artists know, we spend our full workdays on devices like this, and if it is uncomfortable, that is going to have an impact on your work.
One thing to note with this device is that the pen that comes with the tablet needs charging. If it is not, it will run out. While I do prefer styluses that never needs charging, this one still works great.
Lastly, I wanted to let you know that this is all my personal preference. While I may enjoy the Huion GT 185 Graphic Drawing Tablet, it may not be for you.
The reason I am telling you this is I urge you to go out to your local art store or technology store and see if they have any rentals available.
Looking for a different brand tablet? See our Top 5 Drawing Tablets of great quality for beginners.
Rent it for a week and see if it does the trick for you. Renting an expensive tablet will save you the significant financial investment up front, and lets you know what you’re getting.
If you’re on a budget and want an affordable but great beginner’s tablet, learn more about the Huion H610 pro graphics tablet.
HuionTablet.com, Huion Tablet’s Home Page. Retrieved on 4/15/2018.
ParkaBlogs.com, Review: Huion GT185HD Pen Display Tablet Monitor. Retrieved on 4/15/2018.
LouiseDyer.com, Huion GT 185HD Review. Retrieved on 4/15/2018.