[Edited to add: There’s a new version for this tablet and it’s absolutely amazing. The new Wacom Intuos graphics tablet has newer technology and updated software. You can learn more about the new tablet version by reading The Wacom Intuos Drawing Tablet CTL4100WLK0 – Review.]
The Wacom Intuos Pen Touch Small Tablet is the latest addition to the series of Wacom’s interactive display and styluses.
This thin and sleek touch tablet is a powerful tool for creating digital designs on computers. The active area of the tablet measures 8.5 inches in height and 5.3 inches in width.
Wacom Intuos Pen Touch Small Tablet Review
It has four programmable buttons on the tablets; two located on each corner, and two programmable buttons on the pen.
On the back of the panel, there is a place for the battery as well as additional nibs and a wireless receiver for those who want to turn this tablet into wireless mode.
At the front, there is a cable port, a tablet lock feature, a slide switch used to turn on and off the touch motion, and a pen holder.
By default, one of the pen buttons works as a right mouse key. However, the functionality of any button can be changed using Wacom desktop center.
It also comes with free software – Corel painter essentials. This software is a light version but provides users with ample features of a designing program.
Calling all Artists and Designers
Drawing tablets are used by graphic designer and editors. Many comic book designers and motion animators need to work on computers and own designing software to create their art pieces.
In such cases, using a standard mouse is not an ideal choice. It cannot provide the precision and accuracy to the extent required by designers.
Therefore, it becomes a necessity to look for a working alternative where these graphics tablets establish their dominance.
Its more About Art than Science
For many graphic designers, they’d need a digital platform that has sufficient features that they could work with as well as have the perfect shape and size according to the available space.
This tablet, due to its small size, can be placed on any desk and unlike other bulky graphics desks, it would not hinder the users from making use of the free space.
Since it is very lightweight, it can be moved or shifted frequently. Working on this tablet means designers would not have to worry about covering any portion of the surface with their hand.
For example, a cartoonist is drawing an eye of the character. It would be much better if he could actively see the other eye while drawing, to maintain the similarity between the two.
On a typical screen, his working hand might cover the area that he needs to take references from which would lead him to raise his hand, again and again, to look over.
Using this tablet eliminates that trouble. Now, users can draw on a separate surface, and their results displayed on another surface.
What Are The Benefits?
• The tablet has 1024 pressure sensors. All the pressure sensitive points are well calibrated and distributed across the complete area to give more consistent writing and drawing experience to users. So, to get darker lines, users would have to apply more force.
• Its touchpad allows users to make motion gestures even while using the pen. Motion gestures mean users can zoom in and out or even rotate the screen while working. They can also decide whether the table would accept only one figure touch or two.
• The programmable keys on the tablet and pens are customizable for any function which saves users time to change their setting from the program itself.
• The tablet also comes with Kingston security lock feature, so users can safely place it anywhere without any having to worry about it.
• There is a light at the top which automatically switches on when the pen is near the surface.
• The top part of the tablet comes with a rubber surface which improves the grip and makes it easier to carry the tablet around.
• Due to its adequate working surface, this tablet feels like a sketchbook which is a pretty good size. It allows users a free movement of their wrist and lets them use their full arm while working.
• The surface of the tablet has a grainy texture. It gives a feel of writing on a real paper. Also, the scratch noises it makes when the tip rubs against the surface is also similar to writing with a real pencil in a notebook. Its surface also allows for more natural and smoother lines.
• Its active area is roughly similar to the previous version which makes an excellent upgrade choice for an existing Wacom tablet user.
• The new pen is much lighter and thinner than its predecessors.
• This device can also be used in place of a cursor. It has rubber pads at the bottom which does not let it slide on the table. It’s one nib can last anywhere between 6-12 months.
• The pen is quite smaller compared to previous version (difference of almost 2 inches). For new users, this should not be a problem, but for the existing Wacom users, it might take some time to get used to it.
• While designing and writing on the tablet, users would mostly place their hand on one side of the tablet. The buttons featured on the top side might have been better at one of the edges because of more accessibility while working. Otherwise, designers would have to stop in the middle of their work for pushing any buttons.
• The pen lacks the eraser button which was present in the previous versions. Preferably, the user now has to assign one of the pen buttons to function as such. Though this led to the pen being lighter for some people who used the eraser, it took away an essential feature of the pen.
• For beginners, it might take a while to establish their eye-hand coordination between the tablet and computer screen.
Wacom has earned its reputation in this segment by providing quality tablets year after year. Therefore, the Wacom Intuos Pen Touch Small Tablet is no exception.
I recommend reading about The Wacom Intuos Drawing Tablet CTL4100WLK0 – Review for the latest Wacom technology.
This tablet is built keeping in mind the needs of designer and illustrators. Suffice it to say; it does its job quite efficiently.
It does lack a few things. But given its price tag, it is a feature-rich device. This device can work on a variety of tasks – from creating a YouTube thumbnail to drawing a cartoon character.
Also, the device has a small learning curve. Therefore, this device would make an excellent choice for both a budding and an experienced graphic designer.
If you’re looking for a different graphics tablet, click the button below.
Wacom.com, Wacom Intuos’s Home Page. Retrieved on 4/15/2018.
GraphicsTabletGuru.com, Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch Review – Perfect for Beginners and Photo Touch-Up. Retrieved on 4/15/2018.
TopGraphicsTablets.com, Full Review: Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Tablet. Retrieved on 4/15/2018.